Follow these tips for a healthy, beautiful smile.
Brush your teeth.
Brush your teeth 2 times every day. Use fluoride toothpaste and a toothbrush with soft bristles. Fluoride is a mineral that helps protect teeth from decay.
1. Brush in circles and use short back-and-forth strokes.
2. Take time to brush gently along the gum line.
3. Don't forget to brush your tongue.
4. Get a new toothbrush every 3 to 4 months. (Replace your toothbrush sooner if it's wearing out.)
Floss every day.
Floss every day to remove plaque and any food between teeth that your toothbrush missed. Rinse your mouth with water after you floss. If you aren't sure if you are doing it right, ask the dentist or dental assistant to show you how to floss at your next appointment.
Get regular checkups at the dentist.
Visit a dentist once or twice a year for checkups and cleaning. Get checkups even if you have no natural teeth and have dentures. If you have problems with your teeth or mouth, see a dentist right away.
If you don't like going to the dentist, make your visit easier.
Some people get nervous about going to the dentist. Try these tips to help make your visit to the dentist easier:
1. Let your dentist know you are feeling nervous.
2. Choose an appointment time when you won't feel rushed.
3. Take headphones and a music player to your next appointment.
What about cost?
You can still get dental care even if you don't have insurance.
1. Find a health center near you to learn more.
2. Get tips for finding low-cost dental care.
Cut down on sugary foods and drinks.
Choose low-sugar snacks like vegetables, fruits, and low-fat or fat-free cheese. Cut down on sugary soda and drinks that can lead to tooth decay.
Using tobacco in any form (cigarettes, cigars, pipe, spit tobacco) raises your risk for getting gum disease and oral (mouth) cancer.
Drink alcohol only in moderation.
Drinking a lot of alcohol can increase your risk for oral cancer. If you choose to drink, have only a moderate amount. This means no more than 1 drink a day for women or 2 drinks a day for men.
Contact our office today and get one step closer to getting the brilliant, healthy smile you've dreamed of!
General and Cosmetic Dentistry in a Calming and Friendly Atmosphere.